At the United States air base at Hellinikon, near Athens, Greek employees stage a special protest on May 8.
1. GV PAN Water tower TO protesters in street. 0.10
2. GV & SCU PAN Protest placards. (2 SHOTS) 0.17
3. SCU PULL BACK TO SV Meat being cooked on spit. 0.26
4. GVs & SVs Protesters with children, dancing in street. (4 SHOTS) 0.40
5. GV U.S. sailor getting into taxi. 0.42
6. GV & SV U.S. marine walking along street, past off duty U.S. servicemen. (2 SHOTS) 0.47
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: HELLINIKON, GREECE
At the United States air base at Hellinikon, near Athens, Greek employees stage a special protest on May 8. They were joined by demonstrators from other regions of Greece whose aim is to close down what they term "the bases of death". The rally came as the Greek government took a strong stance on negotiations on the future of US bases in their country. The employees of the U.S. air base brought their families with them, and set up camp near the main gate. Carrying placards with anti-U.S. messages, the demonstrators cooked food, while others joined by children danced on the roadway. For U.S. servicemen it was another reminder that their presence had caused a wave of demonstrations in nearby Athens, and a dramatic worsening of Greek-U.S. relations.
Source: REUTERS - TRANSEAST ATHENS