Launching of new Lifeboat in Appledore in Dorset.
Appledore, "Dorset" (actually Devon).
Full titles read: "TAKE YOUR HATS OFF - to the Lifeboatmen - after launch of new Lifeboat Crew give thrilling demonstration of lifesaving."
L/S of large crowds cheering and waving fro the shore as the new lifeboat slides down ramp into the sea. L/S of the lifeboat in the sea with smaller boats. Nice group shot of the charcters of the lifeboat crew. They are wearing large lifejackets.
The lifeboat being launched here is the V.C.S., the first motor powered lifeboat to be stationed at Appledore in North Devon. This film was taken on the occasion of her dedication and launch in August 1922. The V.C.S. was 40 feet long, self-righting, fitted with a 45 horse-power engine, and cost over £8,000. Her name was formed from the amalgamated initials of her benefactors: Mr. Vagg of London, Cecelia, the daughter of Mrs. Marshall of Sussex, and Mr. Sleemin of Plymouth.
She could carry a crew of eight, all of which can be seen in this film. They were coxswain George Craner, mechanic John Allen, winchman Fred Butler, and crew members Sidney Cann, George Cann, John Craner, Stephen Bignell and George Carter.
She was presented to the lifeboat station by Capt Innes RN, blessed by the vicar Reverend Hugh Muller, and launched on rails laid down the slipway to a crowd of cheering people.
She served as lifeboat at Appledore for sixteen years, before being retired in 1938, having saved 41 lives during that period.