Trams on streets of San Francisco.
San Francisco, California, United States of America (USA).
General view of San Francisco. Various shots of trams on streets of San Francisco. Drivers undergoing reaction test. Tram in motion, shots taken from speeding tram. More shots of the trams on the streets.
Full breakdown of footage:
• 0:00 - 0:04 - View from Twin Peaks looking East down Market Street (the big avenue down the centre) and that is the Bay Bridge on the right. In the background is the Bay and Oakland.
• 0:05 - 0:10 - Shot from inside a Motor Coach (i.e. bus), it's looking South.
• 0:11 - 0:16 - Streetcars going down Market Street.
• 0:17 - 0:21 - Washington & Jackson Cable Car line, shot across from Union Square, you can see the Westin Saint Francis Hotel in the background on the corner of Geary & Powell Street. The Washington & Jackson line has evolved into the Powell & Hyde Line. Also that is Cable Car 525, the "5" was dropped on all the cable cars not long after this film.
• 0:22 - 0:26 is Cable Car 525 going up Nob Hill on Powell Street crossing California Street. The roof top on the left is the Fairmont Hotel.
• 0:27 - 0:44 shows a Muni operator being trained.
• 0:45 - 0:51 - That is a Cable Car, you can tell because there are three track, the centre is for the grip. It is going outbound on the Powell & Hyde Line, down Russian Hill, starting at Hyde and Chestnut Streets. You can see Alcatraz Island in the background.
• 0:52 - 0:54 - That is the California Cable Car line, looking west.
• 0:55 - 0:59 - The Powell & Hyde Cable Car Line again.
• 0:60 - 0:62 - Inbound on the Powell Hyde/Mason line (they merge into one line on the corner of Washington & Mason Streets). This cable car is on Powell St going down Nob Hill, having just crossed over California Street. You can see the Fairmont in the background.
• 0:63 - 0:64 Cable Car operator.
• 0:65 - - The filmmaker is backtracking, this is shot from Powell and California looking South, the cable car is going down Powell Street to the turnaround at Powell & Market Streets.