The Opening Day of a museum for the Lancers showing regimental regalia and historic items.
Unissued / unused material - dates and locations may be unclear / unknown.
GV Exterior of Belvoir Castle at Grantham, where the 17th and 21st Lancers' Regimental Museum is housed. Various shots of General Sir Richard Hull (Chief of the Imperial General Staff / CIGS) looking around the exhibitions at the Opening Ceremony. Various shots three Lancers, from left to right, the Colonel of the Regiment, Brigadier, the Honourable Hamilton -Russell; Lieutenant-General Sir Bertie Fisher who joined in 1901 and General Hull. Together they examine old papers. CU Skull and crossbones. MS and CU General Hull looks at the old Light Brigade bugle that was used in the famous charge.
Various shots, two trumpeters sounding the "Charge" on original bugles, the soldier nearest camera plays the charge bugle from the Light Brigades battle of 1854, the second was in use at Balaclava. They play on the battlements of Belvoir Caste.
CU A tray of medals, to CU of Victoria Cross (won by Hull on the NW Frontier of India in 1915), other medals include the Croix de Guerre won by Shoeing Smith. GV Castle armoury where a trooper in 1854 uniform holds a lance, he is greeted by another trooper in modern uniform and they go upstairs to see a large cup or chalice. (This cup was from Hitler's Chancellery). The two troopers move over to an exhibition of the regimental silver. MS In another room they look at a painting of the Charge of the Light Brigade. MS Silver candelabra given by attached officers, among whom was Sir Winston Churchill who, on detachment from the 4th Hussars, charged with the Lancers at Omdurman. CU to MS Silver figure of a Lancer on horseback, pan up to the regiment's flag, the Skull and Crossbones with the inscription "Or Glory". CU The original 1854 "Charge" bugle. (4 shots). CU The 17th Lancer Drum banner. CU The 19th century Drum Horse painting. CU Pan right to left, across the painting of the Charge of the Light Brigade, with Lord Cardigan depicted in the centre.
Note: Date on original record: 25/03/1964.