As hostilities continued in Lebanon, huge clouds of smoke billowed over the Beirut skyline when Israeli rockets shelled the city on July 11.
1. GV Clouds of smoke rising from exploding shells in Beirut 0.08
2. GVs Rockets being fired, smoke rising from city (2 shots) 0.24
3. SV Hospital staff ducking as shells hit hospital (2 shots) 0.28
4. SV Patients being evacuated from hospital (4 shots) 0.45
5. GVs Palestinian field gun being fired (4 shots) 1.08
6. GV & SV ZOOM IN Wrecked buildings and vehicles after shelling hit Israeli position (5 shots) 1.28
7. GV Israeli tanks on road 1.39
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: BEIRUT, LEBANON
As hostilities continued in Lebanon, huge clouds of smoke billowed over the Beirut skyline when Israeli rockets shelled the city on July 11. Many of the rockets used in the bombardment were Russian-made Katyushas, captured from Palestinian guerrillas earlier in the fighting. In the shelling a hospital was hit, causing damage and creating additional problems for already hard-pushed hospital staff. Beirut hospitals are stretched to capacity and some patients have had to be evacuated. Meanwhile, as Palestinian field artillery returned fire on Israeli positions, causing damage to buildings and vehicles, the Israeli military reinforced their positions around Beirut.
Source: NBC: REUTERS - NOEL ALEXANDRE: BBC