VISNEWS filmed West Berlin June 18 as West German President Professor Theodor Heuss received the key of his new official residence in the city, the former Palais Bellevue.
GV Palais Bellevue.
GV PAN INT..Of Palace.
SV Stairway in Palace.
LV President Heuss arrives.
REAR V..President Heuss and photographers.
STV President Heuss enters Palace.
GV INT..People in Palace.
SV Dr. Lindrat speaks.
REAR V..People listening.
SV PAN..Dr. Lindrat speaks and hands key to President Heuss.
TOP V..Willy Brandt speaks.
STV President Heuss speaks.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: VISNEWS filmed West Berlin June 18 as West German President Professor Theodor Heuss received the key of his new official residence in the city, the former Palais Bellevue.
During a short ceremony West German Minister Dr. Lindrat handed the key to the President. Inauguration speeches were delivered by Building Commissioner Lenz, Minister Lindrat and West Berlin's Mayor Willy Brandt.
Built towards the end of the 18th century for the youngest brother of Frederick the Great the Palais Bellevue has seen changes in its time. In 1843 it was turned into a picture gallery; Hitler used it as a museum and later as a residence for VIPs. Severely damaged during World War 11 it was partly rebuilt in 1954 and finally adapted as an official residence for the West German President during the past twelve months.
The ground floor has been divided into a reception hall, a study for the President and offices for his staff. The upper two stories comprise further offices, a suite of rooms for the President and several reception and dining halls.
The rooms and halls are decorated with tapestries and paintings from Berlin and West German museums.