A luxury restaurant for dogs -- believed to be the first in Europe -- opened at Nice on the French Riviera on May 13.
1. SV PULL BACK TO GV Dog owner coming out of dog restaurant in Nice 0.06
2. Dogs on leash in front of restaurant 0.10
3. SVs INTERIOR Dog meals on table 0.17
4. GV PAN Dogs being waited on 0.40
5. GV Dog being given food in china bowl 0.54
6. CUs Food being served to dogs (2 shots) 1.16
7. Sv Alsatian dog outside restaurant 1.21
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: NICE, FRANCE
A luxury restaurant for dogs -- believed to be the first in Europe -- opened at Nice on the French Riviera on May 13. The restaurant overlooks the sea on the Promenade des Anglais, and already it has received a steady stream of customers. The menu French cuisine at its finest. The dogs can dine on hot or cold meals, that are either cooked or raw. To excite the canine taste buds are a variety of cocktails, including the "Bloody Dog", which is made from fresh ox blood. Also on the menu are milk perfumed with pomegranate, minced turkey, poached fish, seaweed-flavoured steamed rice and creamed garden peas. The food is served to the dogs in china bowls. The average meal, including cocktails, costs around ten dollars. If the dog should over-indulge there is a vet and dog dietician to help with digestive and other problems. The owners say the restaurant is not a mad idea -- but it has been denounced by the Communist Party newspaper L'Humanite, as "an absolute scandal".
Source: REUTERS - HUBERT PIERNET