• Short Summary

    Egypt is preparing for a possible resumption of fighting with Israel according to President Anwar Sadat.

  • Description

    Egypt is preparing for a possible resumption of fighting with Israel according to President Anwar Sadat. In a militant speech on Thursday (28 December) before a joint session of parliament and the policy-making Central Committee of the Arab Socialist Union, President Sadat said he had assumed direct responsibility for preparing for a possible outbreak of hostilities.

    He said that a higher committee for 'Battle Affairs' had been formed under his chairmanship. The committee, which would prepare the country for the possible outbreak of new fighting, comprises Premier Aziz Sidky, War Minister Ahmed Ismail, Economy Minister Mohammed Abdullah Marzaban, Interior Mamdouh Salem, Information Minister Abdel Kader and other officials.

    Mr. Sadat said there was no alternative to force to recover Arab territories occupied by Israel in the 1968 war.

    Dealing with domestic affairs, Mr. Sadat Emphasised the vital need to preserve national unity between Moslems and Christians.

    Following recent sectarian clashes, the Parliament had entrusted the President with taking measures to preserve communal co-existence. In his speech, President Sadat warned that he would take firm action against anyone found stirring up sectarian strife.

    SYNOPSIS: A joint session of the Egyptian Parliament met at the People's Assembly Hall in Cairo on Thursday night. Deputy Premier Doctor Zayyat arrived at the meeting shortly before War Minister Ahmed Ismail, to hear a speech by President Anwar Sadat.

    Vice President Husain Shafei also attended the session.

    Premier Aziz Sidky was seated with other Members of the Parliament and the policy-making Central Committee of the Arab Socialist Union, to applaud President Sadat as he entered the Hall. President Sadat was to tell the session that Egypt was preparing for a possible resumption of fighting with Israel.

    In a militant speech, President Sadat said he had assumed direct responsibility for preparing the nation for a possible outbreak of hostilities. He said that the two-and-a-half-year cease-fire had failed to bring about a peaceful Middle-East settlement. President Sadat said that a higher committee for 'Battle Affairs' had been formed under his chairmanship. Dealing with domestic affairs, President Sadat emphasised the vital need to preserve national unity between Moslems and Christians. He warned that firm action would be taken against anyone stirring sectarian strife.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVAEYUIB29IK8ZOUC0E8HOBYYZNP
    Media URN:
    VLVAEYUIB29IK8ZOUC0E8HOBYYZNP
    Group:
    Reuters - Including Visnews
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    29/12/1972
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Stock:
    Colour
    Duration:
    00:01:39:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment