Riot police in Manila, using tear gas to disperse students on July 26 after a protest march, sent commuters and shoppers fleeing from a busy central area.
1. CUs Water cannon, police with riot shields and security men putting on helmets (3 shots) 0.14
2. SV ZOOM INTO CU Banners and marchers 0.18
3. SVs Demonstrators move off (2 shots) 0.26
4. SV Brother of Benigno Aquino, Butz Aquino, in crowd 0.36
5. SVs Demonstrators chanting and being watched by police (2 shots) 0.52
6. SVs Demonstrators outside Domingo church carrying banners (2 shots) 1.02
7. SV PAN Butz Aquino speaks to assembled demonstrators 1.12
8. SVs & GVs Demonstrators and police talking. Police confronting demonstrators. Demonstrators running from scene (4 shots) 1.33
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
Riot police in Manila, using tear gas to disperse students on July 26 after a protest march, sent commuters and shoppers fleeing from a busy central area. Eyewitnesses said several hundred bus passengers fled their vehicles and shops were quickly boarded up when police threw gas canisters at a group of about five hundred students protesting outside the city's police headquarters and town hall. A police spokesman said the riot squads used tear gas because the demonstrators were becoming unruly. Among them was Butz Aquino, brother of shot opposition leader Benigno Aquino. The police spokesman said there were no arrests or reports of serious injury. The protestors had been demanding a permit to hold an anti-government demonstration the following day. Butz Aquino told the crowd to disperse after announcing he would meet officials and try to get a permit for the rally.
Source: REUTERS - MANUEL DA SILVA