• Short Summary

    Egyptians are under instructions to prepare for battle following President Sadat's recent front-line speeches.

    The Cairo?

  • Description

    Egyptians are under instructions to prepare for battle following President Sadat's recent front-line speeches.

    The Cairo newspapers have been banner-headlining the President's statements to troops on the Suez Canal that he had decided war was the only way out. On Monday (22 November) the newspapers continued issuing civil defence warnings to the population and further measures to strengthen the home front are expected this week.

    President Leopold Senghor of Senegal and Major Yakubu Gowon of Nigeria arrived in Cairo on Monday with representatives of the Zaire Republic (formerly the Democratic Republic of the Congo) and Cameroun, for their second round of talks on Middle East peace prospects.

    The four-nation mission later opened informal talks with President Sadat but later reports indicated there was no hint of any new concessions from Egypt on a political settlement for the Middle East situation.

    SYNOPSIS: In Cairo on Monday, the Egyptian people under instructions to prepare for a new battle with Israel, which President Anwar Sadat says cannot be delayed much longer. The President had told troops along the Suez Canal that he had decided ware was the only way out.

    Most of the big circulation newspapers carried his weekend speech in banner-headlines across their front pages. President Sadat has been displaying growing restlessness at the slow pace of peace moves, and has accused the United States of weakening under Israeli pressure.

    The newspapers continued to issue civil defence warnings to the population and further measures to strengthen the home front are expected to be taken later this week.

    President Sadat delivered his new threat to open hostilities on the eve of the arrival in Cairo of a four-power African peace mission, which had visited both Jerusalem and Cairo earlier this month for talks on the Middle East situation. The mission was led by President Leopold Senghor of Senegal and Major General Yakubu Gowon of Nigeria, heading representatives of the Zaire Republic and Cameroun.

    President Sadat opened informal talks with the peace mission later but there was no hint of any new concessions from Egypt on a political settlement. The African leaders are scheduled to leave for talks in Israel on Wednesday.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVAERTR63AESQYDMAUWGTG2YIJZ2
    Media URN:
    VLVAERTR63AESQYDMAUWGTG2YIJZ2
    Group:
    Reuters - Incuding Visnews
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    23/11/1971
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Stock:
    Colour
    Duration:
    00:01:47:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment