• Short Summary

    There were wild and angry scenes in the heart of MELBOURNE today, following the jailing of a Union leader on assault charges.

  • Description

    WS Fitzroy Town Hall meeting.
    2 ft

    CU ditto.
    4 ft

    Gallagher and other on dias.
    6 ft

    CU Gallagher.
    7 1/2 ft

    WS meeting.
    9 ft

    Exterior Town Hall..tilt to demonstrators leaving.
    13 ft

    Demonstrators walking along road.
    16 ft

    WS Carlton Court House.
    18 ft

    Demonstrators arriving.
    21 ft

    Gallagher walks in (cheers).
    24 ft

    WS applauding crowd.
    26 ft

    WS Crowd addressed.
    29 ft

    Gallagher escorted out (booing).
    41 ft

    Mob leaving.
    45 ft

    Building sites..demonstrators call out for stop work. (Everybody out). 47-48.
    54 ft

    Police leading demonstrators outside.
    56 1/2 ft

    Pan with crowd along Elizabeth St., Melbourne.
    61 ft

    Marchers stop in Elizabeth St., Melbourne.
    63 ft

    Fighting breaks out.
    66 ft

    Policeman chasing somebody.
    67 ft

    Police and demonstrators.
    70 ft

    People shouting.
    75 ft

    Further scuffle.
    88 1/2 ft

    Police-horse arriving.
    90 ft

    Horse.. pan to another scuffle.
    102 ft


    note: Carlton and Fitzroy are both inner suburbs of Melbourne

    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: There were wild and angry scenes in the heart of MELBOURNE today, following the jailing of a Union leader on assault charges.

    The Union official, Mr. NORMAN GALLAGHER, the Federal Secretary of the Builders' Labourers' Federation, was charged, following an incident last November on a NORTH CARLTON building-site which had been declared black by building unions. The day's events began quietly enough in MELBOURNE, with a meeting in the FITZROY Town Hall. About two-hundred unionists and students gathered to hear Mr. GALLAGHER speak before he left for the Court hearing. The meeting passed a resolution condemning what it termed police interferences in Union matters. The unionists and students then marched to the CARLTON Court, where the charges were to be heard.

    As well as the assault charge, Mr. GALLAGHER was charged on two counts of resisting arrest.

    Inside the court, the magistrate, Mr. O'CONNOR, sentenced the Union leader to fourteen-days' jail on the assault charge. Evidence was given that Mr. GALLAGHER punched the son of a company director during an argument on the NORTH CARLTON building-site. The magistrate also fined Mr.GALLAGHER twenty-dollars on each of the other charges.

    With Mr. GALLAGHER in custody, the marchers, numbering several hundred at this stage, moved off towards the city, stopping at building-sites along the way. The Builders' Labourers' Federation had called a 24-hour nation-wide strike, in support of its leader.

    To this point, the march had been orderly, but violent scenes broke out when the march came to a standstill in the heart of the city.

    Police have charged six people with various offences, including assaulting police, offensive behaviour, resisting arrest and hindering police.

    Five of them were released on bail, and another was summonsed to appear before the MELBOURNE Magistrates' Court.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment