Italy's Red Brigades terrorists have announced they are going ahead with the execution of kidnapped former Premier Aldo Moro.
Italy's Red Brigades terrorists have announced they are going ahead with the execution of kidnapped former Premier Aldo Moro. In a communique distributed simultaneously in Milan,Rome, Genoa and Turin, on Friday (5 May) the guerrillas said they were concluding the battle begun on March 16 by carrying out the sentence of death to which Aldo Moro had been condemned. However the declaration did not say whether the 61-year old politician had been already killed following the Italian Government's refusal to meet the terrorists' demands.
SYNOPSIS: Reporters who have handled previous Red Brigades statements said the latest communique-the ninth to be received-appeared to be authentic. It came 20 days after the terrorists had announced they intended to kill Mr. Moro following what they called a "people's trial" in their hideout. The price demanded for Mr. Moro's life has been the freedom of 13 jailed left-wing extremists. But the Italian Government refused to make a deal. This stand was confirmed by Italy's top ministerial security committee only minutes before the latest communique was received.
Justice Minister Francesco Paolo Bonifacio told Pressmen soon afterwards that he did not believe Signor Moro had been killed. He thought it more probably that the terrorists were trying to create increased tension in Italy. He said however that he otherwise accepted the authenticity of the guerrilla document.