Heads of State and Ministers from 37 African countries gathered in the French resort town of Vittel on October 3 for a two-day informal summit hosted by President Francois Mitterrand.
1. GV Guard of honour marching 0.10
2. SV Security preparations for the conference (6 shots) 0.25
3. SV Cars arriving for conference 0.42
4. SV Ivory Coast President Houphouet-Boigny greeted by President Mitterrand 0.58
5. SV Delegate greeted by Mitterrand 1.01
6. SV Hassan's son arrives 1.06
7. CU Mitterrand PULL BACK TO President Mobutu being greeted 1.16
8. SV Leader of the Upper Volta, President Thomas Sankara being greeted 1.28
9. GV PAN Delegates seated around table inside 1.40
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: VITTEL, FRANCE
Heads of State and Ministers from 37 African countries gathered in the French resort town of Vittel on October 3 for a two-day informal summit hosted by President Francois Mitterrand. The meeting is the tenth in a series begun in 1973 by the then President Georges Pompidou. Security precautions were very much in evidence as the delegates began arriving. They were greeted by President Mitterrand on the steps of Vittel's largest hotel in preparation for a meeting which is expected to be dominated by possible solutions to the conflict in Chad. Other issues to be debated include the Western Sahara conflict, Namibia and the economic problems of Black Africa. Most of the countries attending are former French colonies still heavily reliant on France for economic assistance and military security.