In the small church of Le Mas d'Agenais in south western France a painting of the Crucifixion has hung for many years.
CU PAN FROM..sign 'Mas D'Agenais' to village
GV Street scene in village
LV Village priest walks through street.
CU PAN FROM..priest to Rembrandt's painting.
CU PAN UP..painting.
CU PAN FROM..nailed hand on cross. to face and inscriptions on top of cross.
SV Priest with painting.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: In the small church of Le Mas d'Agenais in south western France a painting of the Crucifixion has hung for many years. Catholic priest the Reverend Patrick Kelly, who comes from Ireland and is the village curate, last autumn decided to send it to the Louvre, Paris, for restoration.
After ultra-violet examination French and Dutch experts decided recently the painting was an early work of Rembrandt, painted in 1631 when he was aged about 25. At the foot of the cross is Rembrandt's signature.
The picture, measuring over one metre in length and painted on wood, was a parishioner's gift to the village church, presented early in the 19th century.