Sweden's powerful soccer team swept to a four-nil victory over Malta in Norrkoping on May 23.
SWEDEN IN YELLOW SHIRTS
1. GV Sweden take free kick, ball crossed into penalty area and cleared by Maltese defender, ball intercepted by Swedish attacker who crosses it into area and striker Thomas Sunesson scores first goal. (2 SHOTS) 0.24
2. GV Sweden attack, ball crossed into area and Dan Corneliusson scores second goal. (2 SHOTS) 0.36
3. GV Sweden take corner, Swedes make three attempts including header to score but cross bar and Maltese defenders and goalie foil attempt. (2 SHOTS) 0.47
4. GV Sven Dahlqvist takes penalty kick, goalie parries shot, ball rebounds for Erlandsson to score third goal for Sweden. 0.57
5. GVs Malta in possession in centre, Swedish forwards take ball and striker Thomas Sunesson scores final goal. (2 SHOTS) 1.12
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: NORRKOPING, SWEDEN
Sweden's powerful soccer team swept to a four-nil victory over Malta in Norrkoping on May 23. The game was one of the first in the European Group qualifiers for the 1986 World Cup. The Swedes led by two goals to nil at half time through goals from striker Thomas Sunesson, just four minutes into the match, and Corneliusson in the thirty-seventh minute. The home side, watched by nearly nineteen thousand fans, had plenty of chances and Corneliusson nearly scored another when his fierce shot hit the crossbar a minute before half-time. Erlandsson, a veteran who played for Sweden in the 1978 World Cup Finals in Argentina, put the home side three-nil ahead in the 71st minute when Maltese goalkeeper Mifsud could only parry a penalty kick and Erlandsson scored from the rebound. Malta could put up little resistance to the dominating Swedes, and when they picked up the ball on the half-way line, Thomas Sunesson made no mistake and scored his second goal of the match to give the Swedish international side a comfortable four-nil victory.