Shortly before the clashes between Egyptian and Libyan forces on Thursday (21 July) when two Libyan jets were shot down, Egypt accused the Libyan Jamahiriyah (formerly Libya) of collusion in an attempt to overthrow President Anwar Sadat.
SV PAN INT. Newsmen taking notes as military prosecutor General Abdel Alim Makhlouf talks.
SV General Makhlouf speaking in Arabic.
SV One of the accused Abdel Moneim Abu-Yassin of Jordan is escorted into the room and stands before the tribunal - answering questions. (3 shots)
CU General Makhlouf speaking.
SV Second accused Ahmed Abou O?f sits before the tribunal and answer questions. (3 shots)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Shortly before the clashes between Egyptian and Libyan forces on Thursday (21 July) when two Libyan jets were shot down, Egypt accused the Libyan Jamahiriyah (formerly Libya) of collusion in an attempt to overthrow President Anwar Sadat. The charge was made on Wednesday (20 July) at a Cairo press conference by Egypt's military prosecutor-general, Abdel Alim Makhlouf.
SYNOPSIS: General makhlouf said the Libyan Jamahiriyah was in collusion with an extremist Moslem group which wanted to overthrow President Sadat. He said the group, about six hundred of whose members have now been arrested, planned to spread fear throughout Egypt by the murder of senior officials, followed by bomb attacks and an armed take-over.
General Makhlouf said one of he accused members, a Jordanian called Abdel Moneim Abu-Yassin, had told the investigating tribunal that Libyan intelligence officers had promised him last November to supply money and weapons, and to train group members in sabotage. Abu-Yassin is said to have added that once the group had taken power, the Libyan Jamahiriyah would have immediately recognised the new government.
Another of the accused to go before the tribunal was Ahmed Abou Oof, brother-in-law of the group's leader, Shukri Ahmed Mustophax. The sect, whose Arabic name means 'Society for Resentence and Flight from Sin', is pledged to revive Moslem society as it existed under the Prophet mohammed. Four hundred and sixty five of its members will go on trial next month charged with plotting to overthrow the government.
The group earlier this month claimed responsibility for the kidnapping and killing of former Egyptian government minister Mohammed Hussein Zahabi, and for several bomb attacks. According to the semi-official Cairo daily newspaper Al-Ahram, the sect member will be charged with the kidnap and murder of Mr Zahabi, plotting to overthrow the government, and joining a banned organisation for the purpose of sabotage. The accusation against the Libyan Jamahiriyah is the latest attack in a war of words between the two countries which has been going on since the 1973 Arab-Israeli war. The Libyan leader, Colonel Gaddafi, was angered that Egypt did not inform him in advance of its plans to attack Israel and was highly critical of Egypt's decision to agree to a ceasefire. The Libyan Jamahiriyah has denied any connection with the Moslem sect