As President Nixon's June 30 deadline for withdrawal of American troops draws nearer, U.S. forces?
As President Nixon's June 30 deadline for withdrawal of American troops draws nearer, U.S. forces in Cambodia are preparing to pull out. Earlier this week, an artillery unit at Fire Support Base Myron Base in the Fish Hook area were burning their rubbish and bunker material while trucks and helicopters hauled out equipment.
On Monday (June 22), the U.S. Command said that elements of two air cavalry battalions had been pulled back from the Fish Hook area to Vietnam, leaving about 9,700 U.S. servicemen remaining in Cambodia. By Friday it was said that about 8,000 American troops were still in the area.
An increase in battle activity in Fish Hook area has been reported during the past two weeks. It is said that the Viet Cong and North Vietnamese forces appeared to be harassing the American troops to make it more difficult for them to uncover supply caches still hidden in the area.
American Secretary of the Navy John Chafee said in Saigon on Monday that American river craft were operating up the Mekong River as far as the Neak Leung ferry, within the 21.7 mile (35 kilometres) limit set by President Nixon for American operations into Cambodia.
There are still thought to be about 39,000 South Vietnamese troops in Cambodia, including about 5,000 who launched an operation from South Vietnam's western highlands to evacuate Vietnamese wishing to return home.