A new city has been built and a capital moved, in Brazil. For over 50?
A new city has been built and a capital moved, in Brazil. For over 50 years plans have been formulated and forgotten; at the back of the current administrators' minds was the proclamation of the first Republican Constitution of 1891, that the seat of Government for Brazil must eventually be transferred to a point nearer the centre of the country. Now, at least, steps are being taken to comply with this proclamation.
When President Jusceline Kubitschek came to power he pledged that his administration would at the least start the transfer of government. That was in April 1956. On Wednesday, 2nd. July, the Presidential Palace, (the Palace of the Dawn), was opened by Senor Kubitschek. Within the term of his office, which ends in 1960, it is expected that the take-over by the new city of Brasilia from Rio de Janeiro will be complete.
The site of the new Federal Capital is the central tableland, 600 miles from the present capital, which is 4,000 ft.above sea-level. Thus the climate will be drier and more agreeable than in Rio. A competition for the Pilot Plan of Brasilia was arranged. The judging committee comprised architects from the United States, France, England and Brazil. The winner, chosen from 26 entrants, was Lusio Costa, a native of Brazil.
This year over 26 basic buildings and undertakings are scheduled to be opened, including the Tourists' Hotel and the Hydro-Electric Station of Saia Velha. At present there are no roads, other than supply tracks, into the new city. Consequently the completion of the airport was a priority project.
Mass was celebrated in the new palace on the 2nd, and there was an opening luncheon given by the President and his wife to Government Ministers, architects and foreign diplomats, and their wives. Afterwards there was a tour of the building.