Thousands of left wing students angered by a ban on an anti-fascist rally rioted in the streets of central Rome on Tuesday (13 December).
(LIBRARY FILM) LV AND SV? police activity outside National Agricultural Bank, Milan, December 1969 (5 shots)
GV AND SV INTERIOR: (Library Film) funeral service inside Milan cathedral conducted by Archbishop of Milan Cardinal Giovanni Colombo (Natural sound) (4 shots)
SV: Prime Minister Mariano Rumor (nearest) with other ministerial mourners.
CU: Cardinal Colombo
CU AND TV: mourners around coffins during ceremony. (5 shots)
LV PAN FROM: National Agricultural Bank TO line of wreaths opposite (2 shots)
SV: municipal officials with wreath.
CU: factory workers with banners (5 shots)
SV AND CU: wreaths being laid and mayor of Milan Roberto Tognoli stepping forward to pay respects. (3 shots)
General Vito Miceli is also on trial in rome for alleged conspiracy involving an a coup plot.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Thousands of left wing students angered by a ban on an anti-fascist rally rioted in the streets of central Rome on Tuesday (13 December). They hurled petrol bombs at political offices, shops and bars and Hijacked cars and buses to use as barricades against police riot squads. At least six people were injured and police made 328 arrests.
SYNOPSIS: The rally the left wing students had planned to hold was to commemorate the eighth anniversary of the bombing of the Bank of Agriculture in Milan's Piazza Fontana on December the 12th, 1969. It was Italy's worst post war bomb outrage and 16 people died. At the time it was believed that right wing groups had planted the bomb in the bank. Milan went into mourning and three days later, funeral services were said for the victims at Milan Cathedral.
The then Prime Minister, Mariano Rumor nearest the camera, together with other Government members attended the service which was conducted by the Archbishop of Milan, Cardinal Giovanni Colombo. More than 90 people had been injured in the explosion. The Government offered a reward of 50 million Lire for information leading to the capture of those responsible for the blast.
On Tuesday (12 December) memorial services were held in Milan in Churches and at the Agriculture Bank of Milan. There have been alarming allegations made recently concerning the blast in 1969. A trial is being held at Catanzaro in southern Italy of three people alleged to have been involved in the 1969 blast.
There have been allegations that the Italian Secret Service, the S.I.D. knew at the time who was responsible but covered this up. The Italian Prime Minister Signor Andreotti has given evidence at the Catanzaro hearing about a former Journalist alleged to have been a secret service member at the time of the blast.
Signor Andreotti who was a former Defence Minister, said he had been misinformed about the former journalist by general Vito Miceli, a secret service chief who has been a witness at the Catazaro hearing.