Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash claimed on Tuesday (3 September) that a third mass grave of massacre victims had been discovered on the Island.
Turkish Cypriot leader Rauf Denktash claimed on Tuesday (3 September) that a third mass grave of massacre victims had been discovered on the Island. Mr. Denktash said he suspected about 50 Turkish Cypriots had been shot and buried in a village near Limasol, southern Cyprus.
On Monday (2 September), Mr. Denktash postponed his scheduled meeting with the Acting President of Cyprus Glafkos Clerides, after the discovery of a mass grave in the village of Maratha. By Tuesday afternoon, 51 bodies had been removed from the gravey Turkish Cypriot authorities claimed the villagers were victims of a retaliatory raid by Greek Cypriots. The Denktash-Clerides meeting on humanitarian issues was postponed until Friday, 6 September but observers say the latest massacre allegation could mean an indefinite delay.
In answer to the Maratha massacre allegations, a Greek Cypriot Government statement said hundreds of Greeks were also missing - particularly in the Maratha area. The Government ??? condemned the reported crime "regardless of which side is responsible for it".
In ???, the capital, on Tuesday, BBC reporter Mike McKay interviewed both Acting President Clerides and Mr. Denktash. Transcripts of those interviews appear below: