French army trucks removed 41 deadly drums of dioxin-contaminated waste from the northern French village of Anguilcourt on May 20.
SV Drums of dioxin on back of truck
SCU M Andre Futterknecht, director of Hoffman-La Roche speaking (FRENCH SOT)
GV PAN French farmyard
SV Reporters PAN TO drums of dioxin
CU Former butcher interviewed by reporters (FRENCH SOT) (2 shots)
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: French army trucks removed 41 deadly drums of dioxin-contaminated waste from the northern French village of Anguilcourt on May 20. The waste, a poison ten thousand times more deadly than cyanide, was discovered after a two-month international search by French investigators, in an abandoned slaughter-house in the village. The waste appeared following a 1976 explosion at a chemical plant owned by the Swiss chemical firm, Hoffman-La Roche, at the Italian town of Seveso, near Milan. A director of Hoffman-La Roche, M Andre Futterknecht, told reporters that all the containers were intact. He said his firm would advise the French government on how to dispose of the 41 canisters of waste. M Futterknecht said he was shocked at the way the dioxin had been stored. The French Secretary of State for the Environment, Huguette Bouchardeau, said on May 20 that Hoffman-La Roche were responsible for an eight month cover-up of the whereabouts of the dioxin. However another Hoffman-La Roche director claim his company had been deceived by a waste management firm which contracted to remove the dioxin from Italy. Hoffman-La Roche said it was prepared to take responsibility for the disposal of the waste in conjunction with French authorities. A retired butcher, who owned the Anguilcourt slaughter-house, said that he was unaware of the contents of the drums which had been stored on his premises since last November.