The President of the UAR, Anwar Sadat spent Tuesday and Wednesday (8 - 9 June) visiting units of the Egyptian army.
The President of the UAR, Anwar Sadat spent Tuesday and Wednesday (8 - 9 June) visiting units of the Egyptian army. On Tuesday he visited units near the Suez Canal, accompanied by War Minister General Sadek. In his address to the troops President Sadat made public his government's offer to extend the Suez canal ceasefire for a further 12 months, providing the Israelis first pull out partially and then completely from occupied Sinai, according to the Middle East News Agency. But the next day President Sadat told the army to be ready for battle before the end of the year.
SYNOPSIS: President Anwar Sadat spent last Tuesday and Wednesday visiting units of the Egyptian army near the Suez canal. On Tuesday the President told the troops of his government's latest move in the confrontation with Israel. He had offered to extend the Suez ceasefire for a further 12 months, providing the Israelis first pull our partially and then completely from occupied Sinai.
President Sadat told the troops he had already put the proposals to the American Secretary of State, Mr. William Rogers when he visited Egypt last month. He also insisted that the Egyptian troops should cross the waterway as the israelis withdraw. But Israel so far has rejected this, although indicating some form of police presence could be acceptable.
President Sadat visited most of the units stationed along the canal, and inland. He told other troops that Israel was playing for time, and that the United States had still not made its position clear. If the Israelis tries to conquer new territory, he said, there would be war. One way or the other, he said, the battle would end before the end of 1971 - and he told the troops to be ready for battle.