For thirteen years ALLAN WATT has been piloting ships of up to 35,000 tons through the straits of Dover on their way to the Far East.
PILOT WATTS UNVEILS SIGN "PILOT" PUBLIC HOUSE (VARIOUS SHOTS)
MAYOR OPENS DOOR OF PUB.
PILOT WATTS DRAWING THE 1ST PINT AND CALLING TIME BY RINGING SHIP'S BELL
PASSING PINTS THRO' PORTHOLE
SERVING FROM GALLEY
SHOT OF CAPTAIN'S CABIN.
OLD SAILOR SETTING "HIGH TIDE" INDICATOR
PILOT WATTS DRINKS QUICK PINT.
PILOT WATTS COMES FROM DIRECTION OF SEA TOWARD PUB.
GEN SHOTS OF LOCAL HOUSES
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: For thirteen years ALLAN WATT has been piloting ships of up to 35,000 tons through the straits of Dover on their way to the Far East.
Usually he transfers to a pilot boat off Dungeness Point, comes ashore and returns home by road.
But on Thursday this week (13th November) he will step ashore from a fishing boat - and make for the nearest pub.
For Mr. Watt, a Trinity House pilot, has been invited by the brewers Courage & Barclay to open a new public house called the "NEW PILOT" at Dungeness. Guests will arrive by land sea and rail.
A special train is being run on the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Light Railway for passengers who will include the Mayor of New Romney, Councillor Norman Grubb, who is also the Speaker of the Court of Guestling (Cingue Ports), and the Bailiff of Romney Marshes, Major F. G. Teichman Durville.
Sir Garrard Tyrwhitt-Drake, Chairman of Courage & Barclay's Maidstone Division, will welcome Mr. Watt who will unveil an inn-sign on one side of which is the figurehead of a ship incorporating a Trinity House pilot's uniform; on the other a 'Pluto' pipeline design.
During the last war the "Old Pilot", which the "NEW PILOT" replaces, housed 'Pluto' pumps which fed petrol across the English Channel to the B.E.F. in France.
The "Old Pilot" was built in 1623. Its saloon bar is formed out of the hull of a three-masted Spanish frigate, the 'Alfresis', which was wrecked on the beach near Dungeness in 1644.
Mr. Watt went to sea as an apprentice thirty years ago. He obtained his master's certificate in 1939, and was with the Merchant Navy during the war. He became a pilot in 1945. Married, he lives with his wife and three children at Gravesend. (Tel. no. GRAVESEND 2307). NEW PILOT Tel. no. LYDD 314.