The North Korean authorities said on Sunday (17 July) that the United States should take steps to prevent any repetition of last week's incident in which a U.
The North Korean authorities said on Sunday (17 July) that the United States should take steps to prevent any repetition of last week's incident in which a U.S. helicopter was shot down in North Korea. The warning came the day after the repatriation of the sole survivor of the incident and the return of the bodies of the other three crew members. According to the United States, the unarmed Chinook cargo helicopter was shot down on Thursday (14 July) five miles (8 kms) inside North Korea after losing its way. The incident came less than a fortnight before the American Defence Secretary, Harold Brown, wad due in Seoul for talks on the U.S. plan to withdraw its 33-thousand ground forces from South Korea. NBC's Jim Laurie reporters on the return of the helicopter crew.
SYNOPSIS: The withdrawal of the United States ground forces is scheduled to take place over four or five years. The major U.S. army units now in South Korea are the Second Infantry Division, the Fourth Missile Command and the 38th Anti-Aircraft Brigade. They are the last American ground forces on the Asian mainland.
Nearly half of the troops are in the Second Infantry Division, stationed north of Seoul along the demilitarised zone. South Korea is now speeding up its own defence arrangements, believing that President Carter will go ahead with the withdrawal despite pressure from critics. South Korean observers fear that the departure of the American troops would increase the danger of war.