London police forces continued their hunt on Thursday (21 March) for associates of the man arrested on charges arising from a kidnap attempt on Princess Anne and her husband, Captain Mark Phillips, the previous evening.
CU Newspaper stand headlines. (5 shots)
MV Crowds and police outside Bow Street Court.
MV PAN Police vehicles arrive.
GV Crowds outside court.
LV Buckingham Palace.
GV Barriers being ???leared from Mall put into lorry.
MV PAN White Escort being towed away.
GV AND SV Broken glass being swept from road. (2 shots)
SV PAN Chalk crosses in road.
GV ZOOM INTO MV Police walking along Mall behind white tape.
MV Plain-clothes policeman with detector.
GV Policeman talking to traffic warden amongst daffodils.
GV Horsedrawn vehicle and cars down Mall PAN TO detectives with detectors.
Initials VS.21.51 VS.22.05
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: London police forces continued their hunt on Thursday (21 March) for associates of the man arrested on charges arising from a kidnap attempt on Princess Anne and her husband, Captain Mark Phillips, the previous evening.
In the morning, the accused man - Ian Ball, a 26-year-old unemployed Londoner - made a brief two-minute appearance at Bow Street Magistrates Court in the city centre. He was charged with the attempted murder of Princess Anne's bodyguard, Inspector James Beaton, who was struck by three bullets in the attack on the Royal limousine in The Mall near Buckingham Palace.
Ball appeared in the dock, pale faced and with a neatly trimmed beard. He stood handcuffed between two policemen, and through most of the proceedings stared straight ahead.
The magistrate, Mr. Kenneth Barraclough, ordered that Ball be remanded in custody for another preliminary hearing on 28 March (next Thursday). He refused an application that Ball should be allowed to remain in police custody for a further three days. Mr. Barraclough described the request as "very unusual". Detective Chief Superintendent Roy Ranson, who made the application, said that it was "a matter of state security, which I cannot enlarge on".
A heavy police guard was thrown around the court before Ball arrived in a convoy of prison vans with flashing blue lights. All spectators and pressmen were searched before entering the court. The magistrate also r???led that reporting restrictions should not be lifted during the preliminary hearing. This means that nothing but the bare details of the charge can be published in Britain until either the case goes to trial, or is dismissed.
Earlier in the morning The Mall and sections of St. James's Park were still cordoned off by police barriers. The road barriers were later removed, but uniformed and plain-clothed police still continued the search for bullets and other evidence.
Princess Anne and Captain Phillips had returned to their home at the Royal Military Academy, Sandhurst, late on Wednesday night, shortly after the attack. By the following morning they had apparently recovered sufficiently from the shock, to take part in their usual duties. Captain Phillips went to work at the Academy where he is an instructor, and Princess Anne went out riding in the grounds of Sandhurst.
The four men who were injured during the attack were later said to be in a satisfactory condition.
SYNOPSIS: As newspapers throughout the World were breaking the news of the armed kidnap attempt on Princess Anne and her husband, Captain Mark Phillips, crowds were already gathering on Thursday morning outside Bow Street Magistrates Court in central London. Under a heavy police escort, a man arrested on charges arising from the incident was brought to the court. He appeared on a charge of attempting to murder Princess Anne's bodyguard, Inspector James Beaton.
Many people in Britain are now questioning the security surrounding the Royal Family, as the attack occurred only two hundred yards from Buckingham Palace. The white car that had figured in the attack on the Royal limousine, was taken away during the morning, and broken glass from the bullet-shattered windscreens was swept from the road. The condition of all four men who were shot in the attack, was later said to be satisfactory.
The man who appeared at Bow Street court charged with the attempted murder of Inspector Beaton, was named as Ian Ball - a twenty-six-year-old unemployed Londoner. He appeared in the dock, pale-faced and sporting a neatly trimmed beard. The magistrate ordered that he be remanded in custody until next Thursday. Meanwhile, in The Mall, police used metal detectors to continue their search for bullets and any other evidence.