• Short Summary

    Morocco won the African Nations Soccer Cup on Sunday (14 March) for the first time with a one-all draw with Guinea in the final in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

  • Description

    Morocco won the African Nations Soccer Cup on Sunday (14 March) for the first time with a one-all draw with Guinea in the final in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.

    Morocco needed only a draw to win the title. But it looked unlikely to get it until Ahmed Magrouh took a well-timed pass from captain Ahmed Faras in the 86th minute to slam a long goal over the heads of the Guinean defenders.

    In an earlier game, Nigeria took third place by beating Egypt 3-2 after being 2-1 down at half time.

    Morocco's saving goal came against the run of play as the enthusiastic Guineans were still trying to build on their one-goal lead.

    The Guineans mounted a strong attack in the 34th minute when Souleymane Cherif scooped the ball from a corner kick just inside the penalty area and put it into the net.

    The match was hard throughout, with the Guineans needing victory to overtake Morocco, who were leading the championship table by one point.

    Their one-goal lead looked safe when Morocco's Abdallah Semmate was sent off in the 66th minute.

    After Semmate was sent off the relentless Guineans pressed forward and missed the chance of victory when Mamadou Aliou Keita put a simple shot over the Bar. Most of the play was in the Moroccans' half, but veterans Faras, and left winger Abdellah Tazi managed to foil most forward moves by the Guineans.

    SYNOPSIS: Guinea, in the all white, kick off in the final of the African Nations Cup against Morocco in Addis Ababa the Ethiopian capital on Sunday.

    Morocco led the points table by one point going into this final match, and needed only a draw to win the Cup. But Guinea needed victory. Nigeria earlier took third place in the tournament with a three two win over Egypt after being tow-one down at half-time
    The game was hard throughout, with the Guineans mixing skill, determination and rugged tackling in their quest for their first Cup. Guinea's chance came when a Moroccan defender headed the ball back over the goal line for a corner.

    The corner landed in the penalty area, and Souleymane Cherif superbly took the ball and zipped the ball into the net with a hard ground shot in the 34th minute. The Guineans had started the game at a fast pace hoping for a quick lead.

    The Guineans pressed through the rest of the first half and still had the advantage in play after the break.

    Guinea attacked relentlessly and Morocco's hopes of even a draw started to look better after the Guineas tired late in the game.

    It wasn't until four minutes before time that Morocco finally had their chance, when this superb goal from captain, Ahmed Faras, clinched the cup.

    The draw meant Morocco won the Cup for the first time. And the man who kicked the vital goal, Faras received the Cup for his team.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Including Visnews
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment