The Kremlin, the ancient and massive fortress in Moscow from which the Czars once ruled Russia and now the headquarters of the Soviet government, is getting a facelift.
GEN V PAN FROM six Kremlin towers with scaffolding and PAN TO river.
GV Scaffolding around towers. (3 shots)
SV Earth moving vehicles; ZOOM OUT TO SHOW construction site around Kremlin walls.
SV archway with scaffolding and men working on brickwork. (2 shots)
TV PAN UP FROM site TO restoration work on tower (3 shots)
TV PAN UP FROM site to Kremlin.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: The Kremlin, the ancient and massive fortress in Moscow from which the Czars once ruled Russia and now the headquarters of the Soviet government, is getting a facelift. It's all part of a 10-year programme by the Soviet Ministry of Culture to restore the city's historic sites.
SYNOPSIS: The facelift includes the reconstruction of six towers along the Kremlin's South wall overlooking the Moscow River. They should be finished by November.
War as well as nature has taken its toll of the Kremlin's defences. The walls were originally wooden, but the Tartar invaders burned them down so often that they were replaced by stone. Napoleon's forces in 1812 tried to blame them up. The Germans in World War Two shelled them. But it was the ravages of time which caused the greatest damage. The Soviet Government is spending 70,000 US dollars in the next few years to put a stop to it.
Restoration of the Kremlin has in fact been going on since the Communist revolution. In 1918, Lenin ordered the protection of historic monuments. The Kremlin, which once again became the seat of government, was given priority.
The Kremlin is not only the centre of Soviet power but also a colony of faded churches, museums, galleries and other ancient buildings which are also getting the attention of the restorers and renovators. It was once the home of Ivan the Terrible, but its appearance has changed considerably since then. Whatever its appearance, it still remains the most famous landmark in Moscow and, to many, the symbol of Soviet power.