Nowhere was the French national Resistance day of June 18th more ardently commemorated than in Algiers.
Nowhere was the French national Resistance day of June 18th more ardently commemorated than in Algiers. This year it had a double significance, for the man who made the rallying call from London in June 1940 is the same man who rallied France a few weeks ago and became the hero of Algeria -- Gen. Charles de Gaulle.
Algiers was transformed into a city of flags. It was given the name, "Algier la Tricolore", despite the grey skies. Everyone remembered Gen. de Gaulle's message in 1940, to resist the German occupation, when he told the world, "France has lost a battle but has not lost the war." This, of course, was shortly after Dunkirk.
Three main ceremonies were held during the day. At the Central Commissariat, in the presence of Col. Goddard, director of the Surete, there was a tribute in front of a plaque commemorating the Allied landings of 8th November, 1942. At the Cathedral, solemn Mass was conducted by Msgr. Duval.
And in the evening a large crowd gathered around the Monument aux Morts, where Gen. Salan relit the flame of memory from which he ignited a torch carried by a group of old soldiers to the Jardin d'Essai.
As well as government representatives, members of the Committee of Public Safety of May 13th were present, including Gens. Jouhaud, Allard and Massu. M. Sid Cara.