Israeli Prime Minister, Menachem Begin, has said that Israeli has achieved the objectives of its massive strike against Palestinian guerrillas in Southern Lebanon.
Israeli Prime Minister, Menachem Begin, has said that Israeli has achieved the objectives of its massive strike against Palestinian guerrillas in Southern Lebanon. Speaking to newsmen in Jerusalem on Wednesday (15 March), Mr. Begin stressed that no one in Israel wanted peace more than he did, but that Israel was prepared to fight to defend itself. The decision to send troops into Southern Lebanon, he said, had not been a reprisal operation for the weekend Palestinian commando attack in Israel. What the Israelis had done had been to exercise their right of self defence. He added that the Israelis would not stay permanently in Southern Lebanon, but that they would remain until an agreement was reached whereby Palestinian guerrillas would never return to Southern Lebanon. Mr. Begin, However, did not say who would be involved in this agreement. All he would say was that Israel would not deal with what he described as "the murder organisations". First though he expressed Israel's satisfaction at the performance of the Israeli troops in Southern Lebanon.