Spanish political parties, ranging from the far left to the extreme right, have condemned the killing of a wealthy industrialist by Basque nationalist guerrillas.
Spanish political parties, ranging from the far left to the extreme right, have condemned the killing of a wealthy industrialist by Basque nationalist guerrillas. The body of 63-year-old Javier do Ybarra, a former mayor of Bilbao, was found in woods near the Basque port on Wednesday (22 June). The discovery came two days after police and troops had first made a search of the area.
Senor Ybarra was the second Basque kidnap victim to be killed by his abductors in the last 18 months. Members of the Basque nationalist guerrilla group ETA murdered industrialist Angel Berazadi in April last year after abducting him. Interior Minister Manual Frage Iribarne ordered that no ransom be paid in exchange for Senor Berazadi and his kidnappers killed him.
SYNOPSIS: The first search near Barazar began on Monday (20 June) after a Bilbao radio station received a message saying where the body of Senor Ybarra could be found. He was abducted on the 20th of May outside his Bilbao home by gunmen dressed as hospital orderlies. The Kidnappers were reported to have demanded one billion pesetas (8.5 million sterling) for the release of Senor Ybarra. But unofficial reports claim his family had offered about 400 million pesetas (3.3. million sterling). The kidnappers said that unless the ransom was paid in full by Saturday last week (18 June), they would kill Senor Ybarra.
The note to the radio station described exactly where the police should look for the body. However, after the search revealed nothing, there were two anonymous telephone calls to say the first note was false and that Senor Ybarra was alive. But another note was placed in a private letter box in San Sebastian on Tuesday. It said the first search had not been thorough enough and the industrialist's body could be found wrapped in plastic sheeting.