On December 6 in a European Championships qualifying match in Moscow, the Soviet Army Central Sporting Club (CSKA) played against the Italian team, Granarolo from Bologna.
SOVIET ARMY CENTRAL SPORTING CLUB (CSKA) (IN RED) V GRANAROLO OF BOLOGNA:
1. TV PAN FROM Throw-in Granarolo attack and No. 15 scores basket 0.14
2. TV PAN CSKA bring ball forward and No. 6 scores with long shot 0.28
3. TV PAN CSKA attack and score with long shot 0.40
4. LV CSKA leading 44 to 27 0.42
5. TV PAN Granarolo take the ball up court and No. 12 scores 0.50
6. SV & TV Crowd applauds as No. 5 takes ball up court and scores for Soviets (2 shots) 1.04
7. LV Scoreboard at half time, shows CSKA leading 48 to 37 1.06
8. TV No. 5 scores again or CSKA after series of passes 1.16
9. TV PAN Soviet No. 5 receives a pass, turns and scores with long shot 1.29
10. LV PAN DOWN FROM Final scoreboard showing 102 to 84 in favour of CSKA TO players shaking hands at the end of match 1.37
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: MOSCOW, USSR
On December 6 in a European Championships qualifying match in Moscow, the Soviet Army Central Sporting Club (CSKA) played against the Italian team, Granarolo from Bologna. It was the first stage of the competition and both teams kept up zonal defence, playing mostly medium range shots, Granarolo, with their quick attack, were first to score points, but CSKA were not about to be defeated. They fought back with a long shot down the court to take their first basket. The Soviets eventually gained a commanding lead through shots by Gusev, Enden, Tarakanov and Tkachenko. Throughout the match Granarolo tried repeatedly to regain the upper hand, but their attempts failed. CSKA won the game with a score of 102 to 84. Th CSKA team will now go on to the finals of the championship to be held on April 3, 1985.