NEW DELHI, INDIA
The President of the European Community Commission Gaston Thorn has announced the European Economic Community (EEC) will open a diplomatic mission in India as soon as possible.
NEW DELHI, INDIA
1. GV EXTERIOR Hyderabad House, India's prime minister's official residence in New Delhi 0.06
2. SVs/SV PAN INTERIOR Mrs. Gandhi and president of the European Community Commission, Gaston Thorn seated (3 shots) 0.35
3. GV EXTERIOR Minister of External Affairs building 0.38
4. SV INTERIOR Gaston Thorn and his delegation taking seats for meeting 0.53
5. SV indian Foreign Minister PV Narasimha Rao and other government officials at meeting (2 shots) 0.58
6. SV Gaston Thorn 1.05
7. SV PAN Indian delegation 1.14
8. GV Meeting in progress 1.18
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: NEW DELHI, INDIA
The President of the European Community Commission Gaston Thorn has announced the European Economic Community (EEC) will open a diplomatic mission in India as soon as possible. Mr. Thorn was speaking in New Delhi, where he had talks with prime Minister Indira Gandhi at Hyderabad House. Mr. Thorn told a news conference the EEC was concerned about its trade imbalance with India. He said India had been asked to make the most of concessions granted to 93 per cent of its exports by improving marketing and quality controls. After meeting Indian Foreign minister PV Narasimha Rao and other government officials, the EEC representative said his talks on the North-South dialogue, the forthcoming meeting on the general trade and tariffs agreement and on the world, were rewarding. India and the EEC signed a five-year commercial and economic agreement in June 1981.
Source: REUTERS - PREM PRAKASH