• Short Summary

    SYNOPSIS: VICTORIA Square was the marshalling point for the hundreds of demonstrators who came from all parts of ADELAIDE.

  • Description

    W/s march into square
    4 ft

    in ditto
    14 1/2 ft

    H/s cops in
    19 ft

    W/A ws square pan G.P.O.
    21 1/2 ft

    W/a in crowd
    24 ft

    dr. Spock
    29 ft

    Bod "Youre a liar!"
    39 1/2 ft

    45 ft

    Bod says "You're a ....."
    52 1/2 ft

    Spock pan
    65 ft

    77 ft

    w/s pan group
    82 1/2 ft

    84 ft

    crowd pan
    99 ft

    104 1/2 ft

    front marchers pan
    108 ft

    bloke shouting
    112 ft

    c/u policeman
    113 ft

    marchers stop
    116 1/2 ft

    marching down lane
    124 ft

    police van
    127 ft

    running away to horses
    145 1/2 ft

    horses and man arrested
    161 ft

    police warning
    166 ft

    police pan
    175 ft

    177 1/2 ft

    marchers turning
    191 ft

    block arrested
    195 1/2 ft

    more of crowd
    199 ft

    204 1/2 ft

    North Terrace
    207 ft


    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: SYNOPSIS: VICTORIA Square was the marshalling point for the hundreds of demonstrators who came from all parts of ADELAIDE. An anti-VIETNAM war rally which preceded the main demonstration got under way shortly after half past twelve. Numbers at the rally swelled with the arrival of five-hundred demonstrators who reached VICTORIA Square after marching through RUNDLE Street and down along King William Street.

    As the protestors assembled, several squads of police with about fifty in each squad left Police Headquarters to take up positions at strategic points around the city. Hundreds of office workers in the lunch break flocked to VICTORIA Square to watch the rally.

    The AMERICAN anti-war campaigner, Doctor Benjamin SPOCK began addressing the gathering on the history of the VIETNAM War. He was subjected to heckling by one man.

    Small pockets of opposition built up against the demonstrators and there was name calling and jostling among the crowd.

    The rally was told that a bail fund had been set up to help those arrested during the Moratorium and tonight's anti-Apartheid protest The rally voted on a single route through the city instead of the original three-pronged march. The Chairman of the VIETNAM Moratorium Campaign Co-ordinating Committee, Mr Greg O'HAIR, explained.......

    Mr O'HAIR said a panel of lawyers had offered their services to people arrested and charged at the NORWOOD Oval tonight. They probably would be available to represent people charged as the result of the Moratorium. The marchers left VICTORIA Square about two o'clock and began moving down Flinders Street. Columns of mounted police and lines of uniformed officers were stationed near the start of the march but no major incidents were reported in the early stages.

    By the time the march moved off, numbers were estimated to have built up to more than four-thousand -- the march itself stretching fo??? one quarter of a mile.

    The front line of the marchers stretched the full width of the roads.

    The march came to a halt at the intersection of King William and Rundle Streets where the protestors were prevented from entering Rundle Street by a large body of police. In all the confusion, about two-hundred demonstrators slipped through back streets and gathered in Rundle Street about one-hundred yards up from the King William Street. Police had the whole intersection blocked-off on four fronts.

    The march soon developed into a running ??? between demonstrators and police. One youth was arrested when he lit a fire at the corner of Currie and King William Streets. This was believed to be a diversionary action as several dozen demonstrators left the main group and mingled with people on the footpaths before making a dash to occupy the Rundle Street intersection. Dozens of police intervened.

    Mounted police herded people back into line when they tried to break away. Several arrests were made. A fire bomb in a soft drink can was thrown at a police vehicle, but was stamped out before it did any damage.

    The confrontation at the intersection lasted ??? more than an hour. The police gave the demonstrators several warnings.

    Then, the marchers bowed to the demands of police not to use Rundle Street which had been declared 'out of bounds'. They turned down King William Street towards North Terrace, and continued then to the East Parklands where they broke up.

    Police said that twenty-five people were arrested. An A.B.C. reporter said that as many as four policemen were needed to make an arrest. One policeman was kicked in the stomach and had to be supported by two companions. Several women were crying and hysterical following the incidents. At least two women were arrested when they attacked policemen arresting their companions.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment