Mr. Elisio de Figueiredo, Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (M.P.L.A.) spokesman and Ambassador-at-large?
Mr. Elisio de Figueiredo, Popular Movement for the Liberation of Angola (M.P.L.A.) spokesman and Ambassador-at-large for Angola, held a news conference at the United Nations on Wednesday (17 December), where he alleged that at the present time there were 11,200 troops from Zaire fighting in his country as well as 4,000 South African regular soldiers.
He called for friendly nations throughout the world to demand the immediate withdrawal of these troops from Angola and said that there were very few troops from the M.P.L.A.'s rival factions the National Front for the Liberation of Angola (F.N.L.A.) and the National Union for the Total Liberation of Angola (U.N.I.T.A.) actually fighting, because Angolans did not support them wholeheartedly.
Mr. de Figueiredo also said that some 50 South African regular troops had been captured and would be displayed to newsmen in Luanda, THE M.P.L.A.'s capital, in the near future.
He also charged that there were United States military advisers in Zaire training troops sent to fight the M.P.L.A. He added that no American "military men" had been captured although there were some American mercenaries there "fighting side by side with South Africans" and with the F.N.L.A. and U.N.I.T.A.