An anonymous telephone caller claiming to speak for a fanatical Moslem religious group which is banned in Egypt has threatened war on Egyptian President Anwar Sadat.
An anonymous telephone caller claiming to speak for a fanatical Moslem religious group which is banned in Egypt has threatened war on Egyptian President Anwar Sadat. Its the group the group which claimed responsibility for the kidnap and murder of a former Egyptian Cabinet Minister, Dr. Mohammed Hussein Zahabi, whose body was found in a suburban Cairo villa on Wednesday (6 July). Dr. Zahabi was a former Minister for Religious Endowments.
SYNOPSIS: Police said, Dr. Zahabi had been shot to death. They said, a member of the ultra-conservative Moslem society which claimed responsibility for the kidnapping had confessed to the killing. Dr. Zahabi was a strong critic of the sect -- called. The society for Repentance and Flight from Sin.
Police said the killer was among a number of sect members arrested.
Dr. Adli Hussein, the chief prosecutor of the Egyptian State Security, said Dr. Zahabi's body was found blindfolded with a scarf. He described the killing as barbaric. The sect had demanded the release of 60 of its jailed members and 200 thousand Egyptian pounds (US 300-thousand dollars) in return for Dr. Zahabi's life. Dr. Zahabi was the first political kidnap victim in modern Egyptian history.
The body was found after police arrested three student members of the sect -- one of whom tried to swallow instructions that the remains were to be dumped in the River Nile. Since the killing, the sect has declared war on President Sadat for deciding that the captured sect members would be tried by a military court, and claimed responsibility for two bomb blasts in Cairo which in injured ten people.