INTRODUCTION: South Africa's Prime Minister P.W. Botha believes there is no immediate threat of a conventional war erupting from his country's incursion into Angola.
GV INTERIOR Brigadier Rudolph Badenhorst, Commanding Officer South African Defence Forces in Angola, giving news conference.
CU Badenhorst speaking. (2 SHOTS)
CU PAN Russian passport on display, Russian money and photographs.
SV Russian posters of troops and Brezhnev. (2 SHOTS)
AV Xangongo, ZOOM OUT river and bridge. Aircraft flies over township. (2 SHOTS)
GV PAN South African armoured vehicles. (2 SHOTS)
GV South African troops on scout cars and wireless operator. (2 SHOTS)
SV Civilians walking past troops and vehicles in village.
SV South African troops looking at Soviet posters outside guerrilla headquarters, ZOOM OUT TO tanks.
SV South African troops walking into yard of guerrilla headquarters.
TRAVEL SHOT Deserted street and buildings.
GV Hospital with armoured car outside.
GV Crowd watching soccer match.
GV Kick-off and play in match between Xangongo and South Africa army team.
GV Burnt-out Russian tanks and debris. (2 SHOTS)
GV Captured ammunition and vehicles. (3 SHOTS)
GV PAN South African helicopter flies overhead.
BADENHORST: "So far, South African forces in the past avoided contact with Fapla that is the Angolan government, Angolan government's army, as we are not at war with Angola. SWAPO is our primary enemy. SWAPO and the Angolan government must ever realise that we are determined to destroy SWAPO, which is the enemy of this country, and if they prefer to stand in our way, they must be prepared to face the consequences."
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: INTRODUCTION: South Africa's Prime Minister P.W. Botha believes there is no immediate threat of a conventional war erupting from his country's incursion into Angola. Mr. Botha on Sunday (30 August) that South Africa's military strikes had been directed against bases and installation used by the black nationalist South West Africa People's Organisation (SWAPO). He said if conventional warfare was tried against South Africa, it would be dealt with even more effectively than the present bush war against the guerrillas. The Prime Minister's statement on the role of South African troops in Angola has been supported by the Commanding Officer of forces involved in the incursion, Brigadier Rudolph Badenhorst.
SYNOPSIS: Brigadier Badenhorst called a news conference at his Oshakati headquarters.
During the news conference, reporters were shown Russian passports, posters, money and photographs of soldiers taken on leave in the Soviet Union. The South African claim these articles were taken from Soviet prisoners, fighting in Angola.
This is Xangongo, 100 kilometres (62 miles) north of the South Africa/Angola border, and the furthest point reached by the South African forces. The army claims SWAPO bases of the north-west wing of the guerrillas were located here. The township came under heavy fire during the incursion.
South African armoured divisions moved into Xangongo, although Johannesburg says the occupation of Angola is coming to an end, with South African forces now pulling back across the border. Angola denies this, saying the claim is a trick and that Xangongo was one of nine towns destroyed by carpet bombing. The Angolan Defence Ministry said the air raids were carried out by 39 South African jets, supported on land by a motorised infantry brigade.
South Africa puts the number of Angolan soldiers and SWAPO guerrillas killed in the operation at 400, although life seems to be returning to normal in the battle zone. South Africa says its troops neutralised the guerrilla headquarters in Xangongo and destroyed several Soviet-made tanks. The operation was one of the biggest into Angola during the 15-year bush war against SWAPO.
Foreign newsmen were taken to Xangongo on Saturday (29 August) and reported the centre of the town had hardly been touched by the fighting. They said some buildings had bullet holes, but places such as the hospital had not been affected.
The South African invaders were keen to try to win over the local population, and even organised a soccer match.
The hostilities of the previous days were forgotten on the football field as the Xangongo soccer club, cheered on by its loyal supporters, took on the South African army team. On this day, the war seemed very far away.
Yet not far from the soccer ground, the evidence of the fighting remained. These Soviet-made tanks were burnt out and left amongst the debris. Along with destroyed armour, the South African forces captured ammunition and vehicles belonging to the guerrillas. In the wake of the fighting, Angola accused South Africa on Sunday (30 August) of using unidentified chemical bombs against Angolan troops. Six Third World countries have circulated a draft resolution strongly condemning the incursion, and calling for reparation to Angola and sanctions against South Africa. The United Nations Security Council resumed debate on Monday (31 August) on Angola's complaint of South African aggression.