• Short Summary

    Iceland scored their first victory in group seven of the European Soccer Championship on Thursday (5 June).

  • Description

    Iceland scored their first victory in group seven of the European Soccer Championship on Thursday (5 June). Playing before a partisan home crowd in Reykjavik, the Icelanders beat East Germany 2-1.

    The home side got off to the best possible start. Shortly after the kick-off, a long throw-in by Guthgeir Leifsson was pushed on to Johannes Ethvaldsson, who scored the opening goal.

    Despite some fierce German counter-attacks, the Icelanders held firm -- then broke from defence to go further into the lead. Iceland's goalkeeper Dagsson judged a long up-field clearance perfectly to put Asgeir Sigurvinsson through to score the second goal.

    During the second half, East German pressure brought them one consolation goal. But they couldn't prevent Reykjavik's night of triumph -- and the Icelanders won 2-1.

    SYNOPSIS: Throw-in to Iceland in their European Championship qualifying match against East Germany in Reykjavik on Thursday. And from the throw, Johannes Ethvaldsson seizes on an opportunity to put Iceland into an early lead. Just the start the home side wanted against their powerful East German opponents.

    The Germans were still reeling under the shock when it nearly happened again. Ethvaldsson was again the man with the scoring chance.

    As the East Germans went in search of an all-important equaliser, the Icelandic defence had to soak up heavy pressure. Steich was the man who tested them in this attack.

    Both sides were looking for their first victory in group seven of the European Championships' qualifying rounds. Before Thursday's match, East Germany had drawn all its three matches; and little Iceland, doing surprisingly well at this level of competition, had drawn two and lost one.

    As the first half wore on, the Icelanders were able to surprise the Germans by the speed with which they broke out of defence to counter-attack. A goal-kick by 'keeper Dagsson found Asgeir Sigurvinsson free with plenty of room to run through the opposition defence and stun the Germans by putting his side into a two-goal lead.

    Iceland kick off in the second half -- which again found the East Germans struggling hard to get back into the game. They did get one consolation goal, scored by Jurgen Pommerencke. But the Icelanders held on to their lead to win by two goals to one.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    Media URN:
    Reuters - Source to be Verified
    Issue Date:
    HD Format:
    Available on request
    Black & White
    Time in/Out:

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment