A multi-national textile factory -- one of African's biggest -- was officially opened last weekend by the President of the Ivory Coast, Felix Houphouet-Boigny.
SV PAN Flags of France, Japan, Holland
SV EXT Factory
SV Houphouet-Boigny inspecting guard of honour at factory gates.
SV Houphouet Boigny being greeted by factory management officers
SV Crowd watching
SV Houphouet Boigny cuts tape
SV INT Factory with machine working (2 shots)
GV Houphouet-Boigny shown around factory where workers are attending machines (2 shots)
Initials BB/1925 JA/DK/BB/1940
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: A multi-national textile factory -- one of African's biggest -- was officially opened last weekend by the President of the Ivory Coast, Felix Houphouet-Boigny.
The factory, built jointly by companies from Holland, France and Japan, is about 100 miles north of the Ivory Coast Capital, Abidjan. It cost nearly three million pounds sterling (six million U.S. dollars), and will be capable of producing more than 12,000 tonnes of material annually. Now, the factory is producing at a rate of only 6,000 tonnes of material annually, but it is hoped it will reach full capacity by 1980.
The production Manager said the factory would play a "very active role in developing the economy of the Ivory Coast".
Nearly 70 per cent of the factory's production will be exported to other African countries while the remaining 30 per cent will be shipped overseas, mostly to Europe.
SYNOPSIS: Near the Ivory Coast town of Dimbokro, about one hundred miles from the country's capital of Abidjan, one of the largest textile factories in Africa has just been completed. The factory stands on what was formally virgin bush country.
The President of the Ivory Coast, Felix Houphouet-Boigny, officially opened it last weekend.
The factory was built at a cost of more than three million pounds sterling. It was constructed by companies from the Ivory Coast, Holland, France and Japan.
It will be capable of producing more than twelve thousand tonnes of material, a year. However, at present it is producing at a rate of only six thousand tonnes annually. But the production manager said he hopes it will be operating at full capacity by 1980.
Nearly seventy per cent of the factory's production will be exported to other African countries and the rest will find its way to the markets of Europe, mainly through France. At the opening the production manager said the factory would play an active role in developing the economy of the Ivory coast.