Israeli fighter-bombers have launched new raids against Palestinian targets in southern Lebanon. The air raids?
CU: Nayef Hawatmeh leader of the Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine speaking in Arabic.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Israeli fighter-bombers have launched new raids against Palestinian targets in southern Lebanon. The air raids on and around the mainly Palestinian town of Nabatiyeh came on Friday, (8 June) as Palestinian guerrillas and their left wing Lebanese allies were withdrawing from the southern port of Tyre and other civilian areas. According to the London Guardian newspaper representative in Beirut the israeli air-raids were seen in Lebanese political circles as a flagrant attempt to disrupt government attempts to stabilise the south of the country. The attacks also coincided with preparations for Tuesday's (12 June) United Nations Security Council meetings on Lebanon where the future of UN peacekeeping forces will be decided. The radical Palestinian commando chief Nayef Hawatmeh told Visnews in Beirut that he expects a major Israeli raid to capture much of southern Lebanon.
SYNOPSIS: Nayef hawatmeh heads the Marxist Democratic Front for the Liberation of Palestine (DFLP). He was asked whether he expected the Israelis to launch military ground invasions of southern Lebanon? Mr Hawatmeh said that he expected Israel to support Major Haddad's Rightist forces in an offensive to capture all of southern Lebanon up to the Litani River, the area taken by Israeli in an invasion there in March last year.
Mr Hawatmeh claimed that commando groups under the umbrella of the Palestine Liberation Organisation (PLO) were not planning raids into Israel from Lebanese territory.