see reuters file for 28/3/75. khmer students are becoming more vocal in their denunciation of?
- close shot of student leader - president of khmer students association - kun thon thanarak (pron. koon ton tun-ah-ruk) as he addresses students and foreign and national pressmen - he is talking french, then breaks into khmer. (couple of shots)
- shots from behind? thanarak, with pressmen seated immediately in front of him, and students gathered around behind them and at sides...they applaud couple of times.
- students applauding.
- shot from in front of thanarak again as he talks.
- students clammering for copies of declaration distributed.
- exterior shot of university of phnom penh.
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: see reuters file for 28/3/75. khmer students are becoming more vocal in their denunciation of american aid to the phnom penh regime of marshal lon nol. they claim that the aid goes largely into the pockets of corrupt leaders of the lon nol regime, and does not help the khmer people. this is the third time-recently the students, whose spokesman and president is an outspoken young man - kun thon thanarak ? have made similar denunciations. the students have threatened to go on the streets in protest against the government, but they fall short of giving outright support to the khmer rouge as an alternative government. but privately they say they are in contact with the insurgents, and are prepared to cooperate with, and welcome the overthrow of the overthrow of the present phnom penh government. students declaration referred to the government as a "group of impostors", and said that those corrupt elements that were benefiting from the american aid already had their bags packed ready to flee the country to save their necks.