Six people were killed and at least 20 injured when a bomb exploded on crowded Jerusalem bus on Friday night (2 June).
Six people were killed and at least 20 injured when a bomb exploded on crowded Jerusalem bus on Friday night (2 June). It was the worst attack in the city for more than two years.
SYNOPSIS: The bus was crowded with orthodox Jews hurrying home for the Friday afternoon Sabbath.
Israeli police said the explosion was caused by mortar shell placed on a luggage rack.
But the General Command of the Palestinian Revolution's Forces, based in Beirut, who claimed responsibility for the attack, said that the charge had been attached to the bottom of the bus. They also claimed that the casualty figure was as high as 41.
Israeli police said the dead included two fifteen-year-old girls, two boys aged 13 and 18 and an American tourist. The sixth victim was not immediately identified.
About 50 people, many of them standing, were on the bus at the time of the explosion. Eye witnesses said the explosion catapulted bodies through the roof of the bus as it wound its way through West Jerusalem towards the orthodox suburb of Bayit Yegan.
Jerusalem Mayor Teddy Kollek hurried to the scene and described it sarcastically as 'another heroic action by Arab terrorists'.