• Short Summary

    In Mexico City on Saturday (29 June), delegates from 40 countries finished drafting a United Nations charter which will establish a new international economic order.

  • Description

    1.
    GV United Nations building
    0.05

    2.
    GV INT. Delegates seated at conference table
    0.10

    3.
    SV PAN delegates from Bolivia, Brazil, Bulgaria and Canada at table
    0.19

    4.
    SV Nigerian delegates
    0.24

    5.
    SV President addressing, bringing the conference to a close.
    0.48

    6.
    SV Delegates gathered at the end of the conference including the Chilean and the Chinese(4 shots)
    1.09

    7.
    SV EXT. Chinese delegates leaving building (2 shots)
    1.24



    Initials OS/1939 OS/1949



    Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved

    Background: In Mexico City on Saturday (29 June), delegates from 40 countries finished drafting a United Nations charter which will establish a new international economic order. However, a number of controversial questions were left unsettled at the end of the meeting, organised by the United Nations Conference on Trade and Development (UNCTAD).

    The Mexico City meeting lasted three weeks, and it followed three previous sessions in Geneva, Switzerland. But still the delegates failed to agree on a definitive statement about multinational corporations, nationalisation of foreign firms and permanent sovereignty over natural resources.

    The meeting's recommendations will go before the General Assembly of the United Nations in September. Time ran out before the negotiators could decide how binding their draft charter should be. This decision will be left to the General Assembly.

    The meeting officially has been termed "satisfactory", but further informal talks will probably be held before the General Assembly meets to narrow down the alternatives contained in the draft charter.

    The negotiators reached agreement on about 80 per cent of the points in the charter. But the remaining 20 per cent included the important controversial issues such as regulation of foreign investment.

    The draft charter calls for trade expansion without discrimination, international relations based on equality and non-intervention, sharing of technology, tariff preferences for developing countries and the granting of economic aid without conditions.

    The charter was proposed by Mexican President Luis Echeverria at an UNCTAD meeting in Santiago, Chile, in 1972.

    SYNOPSIS: Despite the length of the negotiations, and three preparatory session in Geneva, Switzerland, a number of important and controversial issues remained unresolved at the end of the meeting. The delegates could not formulate a definitive statement on multi-national corporations, nationalisation of foreign firms, and permanent sovereignty over natural resources. However, the meeting did reach agreement on about eighty per cent of the points in the charter.

    Time ran out before delegates could consider just how binding their charter should be. This decision has been left to the General Assembly of the United Nations, which meets in September to consider the draft and narrow down the alternatives provided by the committee of forty at Mexico City.

    The official view is that the meeting achieved satisfactory results. However, more informal talks will probably be held before the General Assembly meets.

  • Tags

  • Data

    Film ID:
    VLVAAFX19KGI09OTJQWAQ40GP4K3H
    Media URN:
    VLVAAFX19KGI09OTJQWAQ40GP4K3H
    Group:
    Reuters - Including Visnews
    Archive:
    Reuters
    Issue Date:
    30/06/1974
    Sound:
    Unknown
    HD Format:
    MP4
    Stock:
    Colour
    Duration:
    00:01:27:00
    Time in/Out:
    /
    Canister:
    N/A

Comments (0)

We always welcome comments and more information about our films.
All posts are reactively checked. Libellous and abusive comments are forbidden.

Add your comment