Israeli troops and tanks pulled out of Southern Lebanon on Monday (26 September) as fighting died down following the declaration of a ceasefire.
Israeli troops and tanks pulled out of Southern Lebanon on Monday (26 September) as fighting died down following the declaration of a ceasefire. A communique issued by Israel's Ministry of Defence said the ceasefire took effect at 10 a.m. local time. Calm was returning to the Ayoun valley area, where heavy fighting raged for the last ten days. Lebanese villagers came out to till their fields, and civilian traffic was again seen on roads which only the previous day were raked with cross fire.
SYNOPSIS: The Ministry said the ceasefire was agreed in negotiations, conducted through American diplomatic channels, between Israeli Prime Minister Menachem Begin and Arab leaders.
Residents of Israel's most northerly town of Metullah said Israeli tanks, trucks and armoured personnel carriers pulled back across the border from Southern Lebanon.
The Israeli troops moved into South Lebanon last week as fighting heated up between Christian Falangists and Palestinian forces backed by Leftist allies. Israel's Foreign Minister, Mr. Moshe Dayan, described the incursions as "patrol activity".
Half an hour before the truce was due to start, two more rocket attacks were launched from Lebanese territory against the Israeli border towns of Kiryat Shmona and Safad.
According to a military spokesman, seven people were injured in Kiryat Shmona and one in Safad. Both towns have been his repeatedly by rocket fire since the Israelis intervened in the Southern Lebanon fighting. A Falangist commander was quoted as saying that the ceasefire had left Christian forces in a strong position.