Colombia's Rodrigo Valdes, the World Boxing Council's world middleweight champion, started training in Paris on Thursday (10 June) for his coming bout with Argentina's Carlos Monzon.
GV ZOOM IN TO CU Valdes having bandages placed on hands
SV Valdes preparing to spar
SV, CU Spectators at ringside (2 shots)
GV, SV Valdes sparring with partner (2 shots)
SV PAN FROM Spectators TO Valdes punching bag
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Colombia's Rodrigo Valdes, the World Boxing Council's world middleweight champion, started training in Paris on Thursday (10 June) for his coming bout with Argentina's Carlos Monzon.
The bout between the holders of the two versions of the title -- Monzon holds the World Boxing Association's version -- is scheduled for 26 June in Monaco.
SYNOPSIS: Vldes gave himself just one day to get over his flight to Paris before commencing work. He said he felt he was in great condition and was "pretty sure" that Monzon wouldn't beat him. The fighter said he had been training hard for the past three weeks doing up to six hours a day in his Colombian gym. Valdes's camp are confident and claim the boxer will continue to train until the last 48 hours before the bout.
Former world middleweight champion Emile Griffiths is acting as one of Valdes's sparring partners and he's fought both boxers. Griffith rates Valdes the harder puncher and is predicting that the Colombian will win by a knock out. Monzon has stated that he will retire -- with the crown -- after the bout and that Valdes will never fight again.
Valdes says he'll keep boxing for another two years -- win or lose. The WBC titleholder says that this fight will provide an "undisputed middleweight champion".
Monzon is due to arrive in Paris on Saturday (12 June) to begin his final training. The undefeated Argentine champion is now 32-years-old and will concentrate on his film career after the fight with Valdes.