Teheran's notorious red light district is being knocked down.
GV Bulldozer clearing housing debris from red light district (2 shots)
GV Narrow street in red light district
GV People loading furniture and belongings onto truck (2 shots)
GV Truck loaded with belongings drives away down street (2 shots)
GV Belongings including bike and chairs on footpath, man holding two chairs
GV Man pushing trolley loaded with possessions
GV Women in Chadour walking past demolished houses
SV Guard checking papers of car driver taking away possessions
GV Guards standing around small fire in street to keep warm
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Teheran's notorious red light district is being knocked down. Bulldozers began moving into the area on Monday (25 February) on the order os Iran's Islamic Centre for the Abolition of Sin.
SYNOPSIS: The Shahr-E-No brothel quarter had been labelled a "castle of prostitution and corruption and a shame on the city of Teheran". After ordering for the Abolition of Sin said the former brothels would be replaced by an Islamic bazaar and a mosque.
Several thousand former prostitutes have been rehoused in rehabilitation centres where it's said they'll be given new job training. The last of the girls to move out were given accommodation in gracious mansions once owned by two millionaires executed after last year's revolution.
Before the revolution Shahr-E-No was considered the largest red light district in the Middle East. It was where six thousand prostitutes plied their trade. The Islamic Centre has pledged to destroy all areas of prostitution throughout the country.
A number of prostitutes apparently objected to being moved, saying they'd been given no guarantee of alternative ways of earning a living. The authorities say they'll be taught handicraft and other occupations.
The demolition of Shahr-E-No is seen as part of an attempt by the Islamic authorities to cleanse Iranian life of what is regarded as "corrupting western influence".