The trial has commenced of the three men charged with the attempted murder of the Israeli ambassador to Britain, Mr.
JUNE 4, 1982 (VISNEWS LIBRARY)
1. GV EXTERIOR Dorchester Hotel. Police and ambulancemen in cordoned-off area, close to body of Ambassador Argov on the ground (4 shots) 0.19
2. SCU One of the suspects being questioned in a police car after the shooting 0.25
3. GV Dorchester Hotel entrance 0.33
4. SVs & CUs Clark marking area on payment where body lay after shooting; blood on the ground (3 shots) 0.43
JANUARY 26, 1983 (WALLER)
5. GV Old Bailey entrance with police cars and coaches arriving (2 shots) 1.03
6. GV Armoured cars arrive with police car escort at courthouse 1.17
7. SV Cameraman waiting outside Old Bailey court 1.22
8. GV Armoured van with police escort carrying arrives at court 1.34
9. SV PULL TO GV Old Bailey 1.39
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: LONDON, U.K.
The trial has commenced of the three men charged with the attempted murder of the Israeli ambassador to Britain, Mr. Shlomo Argov. The shooting took place on June 3, 1982 outside the Dorchester Hotel in London. The ambassador was gunned down as he walked through the main entrance of the hotel and, later that night, underwent emergency surgery to remove fragments of bone from his brain. He is still in hospital in Jerusalem and it is thought he might spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair. Mr. Argov had been Israeli ambassador in London since 1979 and had previously held top diplomatic posts in Mexico and the Netherlands. The three men charged with the shooting, two Jordanians and an Iraqi, arrived at the Old Bailey court because under heavy police escort. They are Hassain Said, aged 23, Marwan Al-Banna, aged 20, and Nauoff Rosan, aged 36. The large crowd of journalists and cameramen outside the court were kept waiting as police sent several diversionary cars ahead of the van carrying the prisoners.
Source: REUTERS - LEO WALLER AND REUTERS LIBRARY