ISLE OF MAN, UK
Steve Abbott and Shaun Smith, riding a Yamaha 700, won the Tourist Trophy (TT) Sidecar event at the Isle of Man on June 3.
ISLE OF MAN, UK
1. GV PAN Trevor Ireson and Donny Williams (No. 1) at start. 0.08
2. GV Dennis and Julia Bingham on a Padget 700 (No. 4) at start. 0.14
3. GV Steve Abbott and Shaun Smith on Yamaha 700 (No. 5) at the start. 0.22
4. GVs PAN Other sidecars drive off at start of race. (2 SHOTS) 0.40
5. GV Race in progress as crowds look on. (8 SHOTS) 1.28
6. GV Steve Abbott and Shaun Smith in the lead, followed by other drivers. (3 SHOTS) 1.44
7. GV PAN Abbott and Smith win race as crowd applaud. 1.53
8. SV Abbott and Smith posing for pictures. 1.59
SPORT: MOTOR CYCLING
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: ISLE OF MAN, UK
Steve Abbott and Shaun Smith, riding a Yamaha 700, won the Tourist Trophy (TT) Sidecar event at the Isle of Man on June 3. They became overall sidecar victors after winning the second leg (June 4) in one hour, 4 minutes and 30 seconds. They had already managed third place in the first leg (June 2) behind Mick Boddice and Chas Birks on another Yamaha. But Boddice and Birks failed to get into the top three places in the second leg and saw the overall championship slip from their grasp. Julia and Dennis Bingham, the husband and wife sidecar team, were strong contenders for the title after coming second in the first leg. But they had a disappointing second leg and failed to finish the three lap course on their Padget 700. Abbott and Smith maintained an average speed of 169 kilometres per hour (105 mph) over the second leg, crossing the chequered flag in front of Lowry Burton and Pat Cushnahan on a Yamaha 750.
Source: JOHN GAGGS