MOSCOW, SOVIET UNION
Jalgiris of Lithuania edged out CSKA of Moscow by the narrow margin of 80-78 in their championship match in Moscow on December 22.
MOSCOW, SOVIET UNION
CSKA OF MOSCOW (IN RED) VERSUS JALGIRIS OF LITHUANIA:
1. GV Play in action in Jalgiris, court; CSKA score field goal, but fast break by Jalgiris, followed by long throw to forward, gives score. 0.18
2. GVs Play in Jalgiris court with score, woman in crowd standing and cheering (2 shots) 0.32
3. GV Second period: Play in Jalgiris court, ball intercepted from CSKA, hooked down court to Jalgiris No. 15, Sergei Yovaisha, who dunks two-handed jump shot 0.45
4. GV CSKA jump shot blocked by Jalgiris who fling ball down court to CSKA key, ball passed to centre who scores 1.03
5. GVs Jalgiris corner jump shot tips rim, rebounded by CSKA who fast-break to score, Russian manager on feet (2 shots) 1.15
6. GV Jalgiris work ball into CSKA key, passed back and forth, eventually to centre Arvidas Sabonis who dunks one-hander 1.31
7. GV Jalgiris again working ball in court, long shot by Sabonis, scores 1.53
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: MOSCOW, SOVIET UNION
Jalgiris of Lithuania edged out CSKA of Moscow by the narrow margin of 80-78 in their championship match in Moscow on December 22. The two sides are far ahead of the nearest contenders for the title, and went into the match with very even season records. For the last three years, these two clubs have fought it out for the championship, and in each previous encounter, CSKA have emerged as winners. This year's match was again evenly contested, with some very high quality play from both teams. Jalgiris led by 38-35 at half time in a display of sharp shooting which had the 7,000 fans cheering wildly. At one stage, Jalgiris stretched their lead to ten points at 49-39, but CSKA responded with determined play to pull back to only one point down at 51-50. With only seconds to go before the final siren, the score stood at 78-78 when Jabonis dunked the winning basket for Jagliris, taking the match and keeping his team ahead of CSKA in the national championships.