Princess Margaret laid the foundation stone of a new Town Hall in Port Of Spain, Trinidad, today.
LV. Princess Margaret arriving to lay Foundation Stone.
SV.Pan of drawing of New Town Hall.
SV. Picture of Town Hall.
SV. of Foundation Stone.
CU. Princess laying stone (Ceremony)
SV. Man watching.
SV. Princess signing book.
SV. Pan Princess into car.
GV. Mounted escort leaving.
SV. Princess down steps into Gardens from Govt. House.
SV. towards Posing for Press.
LV. Walking with Governor General Lord HAILES, and Lady HAILES.
LV. Posing for photographers.
CU. Princess pan to photographers.
SV. Princess with Lord and Lady Hailes.
CU. Princess pan to Lord and Lady Hailes.
SV. Princess posing by Flower Garden.
SV. Pan Princess walking.
SV. Pan Princess walking with Lord and Lady Hailes.
LV. West Indies Flag.
CU. Notice Governor General's House.
LV. Group posing on steps.
1. Mr. YEBOA AFARI, Minister of Communications & Works. GHANA.
2. The Prime Minister. Sir GRANTLY ADAMS.
3. Mr. JOHN PROFUMO, Under-Secretary of State.
4. The Hon. F.A. TOWNLEY, Minister of Supply & Defence Production, AUSTRALIA.
5. Lord Hailes. The Governor General.
6. The Hon. GORDON CHURCHILL. Minister of Trade and Commerce, CANADA.
7. H.R.H. Princess Margaret.
8. The Hon. Mrs. ELLEN FAIRCLOUGH, Secretary of State for CANADA.
9. The Hon. SYDNEY E. SMITH. Secy, of State for External Affairs, CANADA.
10. Mrs. W.B. VAN LAVE, Justice of Appeal. GHANA.
11. Dr. N.V. RASKUMAR. Commissioner for Govt. of INDIA.
12. Mr. D. VOSPER.MP. British M.P.
13. Mr. W.R. CROCKER. AUSTRALIAN High Commissioner in CANADA.
SV. Group posing on steps (as No. 23)
LV. Photographers Pan to Group.
SV. Princess into House.
Initials DGI JH/VCW
Embargo until 00.30: April 29
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: Princess Margaret laid the foundation stone of a new Town Hall in Port Of Spain, Trinidad, today. Dressed in a white paper taffeta print with an orchid pink design - draped bodice and deep neck-line - the Princess was welcomed by the Mayor, Mr. Mahabir, in a speech from the specially constructed dais. The Mayor said: "It is our wish that it will be possible for you to be with us for the opening of the new Town Hall to usher in the first Mayor to this modern and magnificent edifice..." It was hoped to complete the building by 1960. In her reply, Princess Margaret said: "I am so happy to be back again in this city of which I have such vivid and happy memories from my last visit in 1955. Your new Town Hall will have that link with the past which is so important in the modern world in which we live."
Princess Margaret delighted photographers who were covering her official engagements during her Caribbean Tour by calling a special 'Picture-Conference' at the Governor General's House, Port of Spain, this morning. More than 60 cameramen and photographers from all parts of the world followed the Princess as she strolled around the gardens, taking shots from all angles. Accompanied part of the time by the Governor General, Lord Hailes, and Lady Hailes, the Princess was attended also by her Lady-in-Waiting, Lady Elizabeth Cavendish. Towards the end of the photo-session, Lady Elizabeth was given some professional advice on the working of her own camera.