North Vietnam's chief peace negotiator Le Duc tho arrived in Paris on Monday (May 14) for talks with United States Presidential adviser Dr.
GV EXT Le Bourget Airport
SV Le Duc Tho down aircraft steps and greeted
SV PAN Le Duc Tho walks press into airport building
SOUND STARTS SV Le Duc Tho addressing press in Vietnamese (3 shots)
GV Crowd outside building with Le Duc Tho getting into car (2 shots)
SV PAN Car away
Script is copyright Reuters Limited. All rights reserved
Background: North Vietnam's chief peace negotiator Le Duc tho arrived in Paris on Monday (May 14) for talks with United States Presidential adviser Dr. Henry Kissinger, and immediately accused the americans of "seriously and systematically" violating the Paris peace agreement on Vietnam.
He said the United States Air Force had on May 9th this year sent formations of bombers to attack the area of Loc Ninh deep inside the area controlled by the Provisional Revolutionary Government of South Vietnam "causing great loss of life". Four separate attacks had been made by U.S. Phantoms, he added.
Le Duc Tho demanded that the United States immediately stopped all acts of war "fraught with extremely serious consequences".
He is due to meet Dr. Kissinger on Thursday (May 17) to review measures to bring about strict observance of the Vietnam ceasefire accord signed lest January.
At his airport press conference Mr. Le Duc Tho warned that if the United States bombed the zone controlled by the Provisional Revolutionary Government then his meeting with Henry Kissinger would not take place. And if bombing took place while the meetings were in progress the talks would be interrupted at once.
Both sides have repeatedly accused each other of breaking the ceasefire. Mr. Tho told newsmen that the Provisional Government "had always respected and scrupulously implemented the agreement with a view to maintaining the ceasefire.
He repeated allegations that the Americans had left over 10,000 military personnel disguised as civilians in south Vietnam and had increased illegal supplies of arms.
Later the U.S. Defence Department denied that American aircraft had been bombing South Vietnam.
SYNOPSIS: A joint announcement by Hanoi and Washington said that Mr. Tho and Dr. Kissinger will review measures to bring about strict observance of the Vietnam ceasefire accord signed in January. The talks are scheduled to begin on thursday. Both sides claim the agreement is being repeatedly broken.
At an airport press conference Mr. Tho accused the Unite States of seriously and systematically violating the Paris agreement. He said in May the American Air Force had bombed areas controlled by the Provisional Revolutionary Government and caused great loss of life. Mr. Tho demanded that the United States immediately stop all acts of war in Vietnam.
Mr. Tho also warned that if the zone controlled by the Provisional government in South Vietnam was bombed, before the talks with Dr. Kissinger they would not take place. bombing during the talks would stop them immediately.
Le Duc Tho repeated allegations that the United States had left over ten thousand military personnel disguised as civilians in south Vietnam -- and had increased illegal supplies of arms. He said the Provisional government had "always respected and scrupulously implemented the agreement with a view to maintaining the ceasefire".